Step 2 for less stress: Questioning our thoughts
- As you may know, nothing causes more mental and emotional stress than the thoughts we think.
I like to call this going down the rabbit hole. And, I used to do this to such a degree that I could literally and figuratively make myself sick.
Our mind can be our greatest friend as well as our worst enemy.
Do we ever question our thoughts? When when I began asking this question, my life changed.
- A self-dialogue for questioning thoughts
- 1. When thoughts come up, I write them down (the power of journaling...you get to observe thoughts on paper!).
2. Then I ask..."is this true"? I realize...no, of course not!
(Actually, to be completely honest with you...at first, I JUDGE the thoughts!!!! Then I feel worse!! )
3. Then I look at the thoughts with compassion AND curiosity and say...isn't that interesting!
4. I also ask: "How do I feel when I believe this thought?" Pretty crummy.
5. Finally I ask: "do I want to keep this thought?" Of course not.
6. Over time, it occurred to me that we CHOOSE our thoughts. Out of millions and millions and millions of thoughts I choose to think, I ask myself: why on earth would I pick this one?
7. In the end, I let go of thoughts I don't want and choose better thoughts. Period.
- Beyond the journaling I mentioned above, meditation and quieting the mind has been transformative for me...but it's easier said than done. That's why I made the relaxation recording for you. Please enjoy!
- I hope you are enjoying this April series focused on reducing stress!
Next, we will discuss how the quality of our sleep impacts our stress levels, step 3 in the 4 Key areas stressors questionnaire.
- Have questions? Message me!
- With Gratitude,